Tropical Florida Gardens - What's in Bloom at the Edison & Ford Winter Estates?

Tropical Florida Gardens

What's in Bloom at the Edison & Ford Winter Estates?

Dwarf Poinciana: A Garden Showstopper

Posted by Edison Ford Winter Estates On October 4th

Have you ever wanted a Royal Poinciana Tree, but in a much smaller size? Consider our October plant of the month the Dwarf Poinciana for your next garden addition.

ppulcherrima09 Dwarf Poinciana: A Garden Showstopper

The Dwarf Poinciana (Caesalpinina pulcherrima) is an evergreen shrub that can be trained and pruned into a small specimen tree in frost free climate zones.

In zones 8 and 9 it can be damaged by frost, but will return in the spring and quickly re-grow.  In the tropics it is also know as Peacock Flower or Pride of Barbados and can grow up to 15 feet tall and wide. In normal garden cultivation it will grow to about 8 to 10 feet tall and wide, but tolerates pruning in order to maintain shape and form.

The foliage is very fernlike and produces many showy flower blossoms that resemble those of the Royal Poinciana tree. The flower colors vary from the common red, orange and yellow variety, an all yellow variety and another with a pinkish rose coloration.

caesalpinia pulcherrima Dwarf Poinciana: A Garden Showstopper
This is a great specimen to add to your garden. The Dwarf Poinciana can also be grown in a pot or container and brought inside if there is a threat of frost or freezing temperatures.

The Edison & Ford Estates Garden Shoppe is currently featuring the Dwarf Poinciana as our Plant of the Month and offering 20% off the purchase of a 6” potted Dwarf Poinciana in OCTOBER 2011.

20 Responses

1. Susan Says:

Can you tell me where or how can I order this plant? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 3rd, 2012 at 11:55 am

2. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Susan,
    We grow the plant here at the Edison & Ford Winter Estates. We propagate from the seed pods of our trees. We have the scarlet colored one, the rosey colored one, and the yellow one. They are in a 6″ pot. It is really a Caeselapinia pulcherimma common name dwarf Poinciana. The tree can be grown as a standard or a shrubby tree. It can get to 12 feet tall, but is common to keep tamed at 8-10 feet. It blooms spring/summer/fall

Debbie Hughes, Senior Horticulturist

Posted on May 10th, 2012 at 10:56 am

3. robert lucas Says:

I have seeds from the plant I grew last year. Would be glad to send you some with postage paid envelope.
    My plant is about 6′ high and 8′ wide. I live in central florida about 8 miles from Cocoa.

Posted on June 3rd, 2012 at 8:47 am

4. Nancy Lyman Says:

Robert:

It will be great if you can send some seeds of Dwarf Poinciana to me. If I have your address, I will mail you postage paid envelope.

Thank, – Nancy

Posted on June 16th, 2012 at 9:02 pm

5. Maria Gardner Says:

interested in a dwarf poinciana tree…..I live in Broward county florida….

Posted on July 15th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

6. peter mascall Says:

I live in the south of England and have this year succesfully grown about 10 red Poinciana’s but would really love to obtain the Dwarf Yellow Poinciana to grow in a pot as our winters a too severe to grow outside. Could someone please recommend where I culd buy some seeds.
    Many thanks
    Peter

Posted on September 26th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

7. Teresa Kollath Says:

I have heard that they are poisonous . Are they safe for children and pets?

Posted on October 28th, 2012 at 8:42 am

8. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

The seeds and flowers are known to contain toxins and could be harmful to pets and humans if they were to ingest some.

Todd Roy

Horticulturist and Garden Shoppe Manager

Posted on October 31st, 2012 at 2:04 pm

9. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Yes they are poisonous to pets. I have a yorki who doesn’t eat plants so it depends on your animal. Many plants are poisonous to animals. Go to the ASPCA website to find a list of plants and there are many. As I said before, if your dog isn’t a plant eater-I do keep an eye on him, and keep plants out of reach in the home.
    Debbie Hughes, Senior Horticulturist

Posted on November 1st, 2012 at 10:52 am

10. Richard Curtis Says:

I realize this is an old posting and I apologize for just now finding it.

I truly would like to get either a live tree or the seeds of a “yellow poinciana”…

I live in Punta Gorda and do not believe I have even seen a yellow one in this area, red/organge, yes but not yellow.

I would be glad to drive down and pick up a tree or send you a postage paid envelope for the seeds.

Thank you and bless you for your work

Love and light

richard curtis
    407 923 8310
    Punta Gorda Fl

Posted on June 3rd, 2013 at 12:33 am

11. hal pittard Says:

exactly how do you get the seed to root? do you keep the seed until they dry out (takeing seed out of the pod)? how long do you keep the seed before planting? thanks.

Posted on June 8th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

12. Barbara Says:

Hello Robert/Debbie:

I realize this post is over a year old but can someone contact me about getting some seeds for the yellow dwarf poinciana?
    Thanks a bunch
    Barbara

Posted on June 24th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

13. barbara Z Says:

i would like to know how close to a house they can be planted and how damaging is their root system to concrete slabs and walkways?

Posted on February 28th, 2014 at 3:09 pm

14. Brenda Says:

Hi everyone,
    I live in Orlando FL and was wondering where I can purchase a pink royal Poinciana does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you

Posted on March 14th, 2014 at 4:31 pm

15. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Barbara-The dwarf poinciana is called dwarf because it resembles the Royal Poinciana. The dwarf version is actually the Caeselapinia pulcherrima achieving the large size of 10-12 feet and the root system is not extensive to damage foundations. I have mine planted in my front yard at 6 feet from the window-I can see out while at my desk and can enjoy the butterflies nectaring from the beautiful flowers. The royal poinciana on the other hand is called Delonix regia and it is a large tree I would not plant close to my house. I usually enjoy this tree in other peoples yards.
    We do have the trees for sale in the garden shoppe and we are open every day in Fort Myers, FL.

Debbie Hughes, Horticulturist at the Edison Ford Winter Estates

Posted on March 17th, 2014 at 9:08 pm

16. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Brenda-The dwarf poinciana just to clarify is not a royal poinciana. It is called dwarf because the blooms look similar to royal poinciana. The royal would not grow in your area because of cold tolerance. The dwarf can easily be covered if you were to have a cold spell. Plus it is a fast growing small tree that blooms in it’s first year of growth usually.

The dwarf is called caesalpenia pulcherimma-look to Harry Leu Gardens near downtown. They do have a Flowering Tree Society and they may have their sale somewhere in Orlando. Good Luck. You could order the seeds, but ask for the pink variety of the pulcherrima because it is different (called rosea).

Debbie Hughes, Horticulturist Edison Ford Winter Estates

Posted on March 17th, 2014 at 9:28 pm

17. Minut Sanden Says:

Hi,
    It is April, 2014. Last summer we visited your museum and I fell in love with the pink poinciana. I would love to have one in my garden as I have the red/yellow and full yellow varieties. After my visit I ordered some seeds for the pink dwarf poinciana and the young man in charge of my oder told me that he was drying them, but never sent them to me. I am still very interested, and would actually prefer a plant (I would pay for overnight shipping) to seeds. But either way would be ok as long as you give me instructions on how to germinate.

Thank you very much for a timely response.
    Minut

Posted on April 21st, 2014 at 3:18 am

18. Tammy Lively Says:

Hi, I would love to plant one of these trees! My concern is the thorns. I did a little reading and it says that thorns will disappear. Is this true? I would like to plant a red one, what is the name for the red one?
    Tammy Lively

Posted on June 26th, 2014 at 3:34 pm

19. Joan Pruce Says:

Do you have any Dwarf Poinciana trees for sale now, and if so, what is the price? Thanks,
    Joan Pruce

Posted on July 14th, 2014 at 2:00 pm

20. Charlotte Stahl Says:

Just bought a red/orange variety as a dwarf. Cost $70.00
    Riverland Nursery had yellow also.

Posted on October 3rd, 2014 at 2:57 pm