Tropical Florida Gardens - What's in Bloom at the Edison & Ford Winter Estates?

Tropical Florida Gardens

What's in Bloom at the Edison & Ford Winter Estates?

Tips for Growing and Caring for Mango Trees

Posted by Edison Ford Winter Estates On May 24th

The Edison & Ford Winter Estates is dotted with so many mango trees, that Henry Ford named his estate “The Mangoes.”  In the rainforests, they’ve been known to grow up to 120 feet high.  Not only do they provide excellent shade but some of the tastiest and most popular fruit in the world.

mango tree Tips for Growing and Caring for Mango Trees

Mangoes are evergreen trees that are drought tolerant and love sunshine.  Here are some great tips for growing and caring for Mango Trees:

• Are accustomed to hot and dry climates so plant in full sun and do not over water. A good rule is to water a newly planted tree every three days for the first month, once a week for the next two months, and only during extended dry spells after that.
  • Be careful of over watering while fruit is developing as this can cause the fruit to burst.
  • Tropical plant that can become temporarily dormant at temperatures of 40 degrees or below and will be damaged or die at 32 degrees or below.  Be sure to cover during frost with coverings staked to the ground as this allows the heat from the ground to keep the tree warm.
  • Pruning is not recommended for amateurs and should only be done with sterilized blades.
  • Mango seeds do not produce the same quality fruit as the tree they originate from.  If you eat a particularly flavorful mango, its seed will not produce the same delicious fruit.  For this reason, many mango trees are grafted.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Mango leaves are poisonous.  They should be kept away from animals that might nibble on them and should never be burned.

Please visit our Garden Shoppe at the Edison & Ford Winter Estates to see our great selection of fruit and spice trees. Learn more about our gardens or submit questions to our staff on our web site at: http://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/about/whats-blooming/.

Related Posts: Mango Salsa Recipe, Mango Smoothie Recipe, Are All Mangoes Created Equal? Delicious Mango Varieties, Tropical Fruit Trees That Grow Best in Southwest Florida

42 Responses

1. Tropical Fruit Trees That Grow Best in SW Florida | Tropical Gardens of the Edison & Ford Winter Estates Says:

[...] Tropical Gardens of the Edison & Ford Winter Estates What's in Bloom at the Estates? Skip to content HomeAboutMeet the Garden Staff ← How to Grow a New Pineapple from a Store Bought Pineapple Tips for Growing and Caring for Mango Trees → [...]

Posted on May 24th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

2. Katheryn Says:

Someone gave me a mago tree and I watered it every day thinking i needed to while it got established, i watered more as the leaves looked like the were drying out and not getting enough water up to them now it has been a week and the tree looks like it is dying help what do I do? I also fertilized it and i think I should have ask the person who gave it to me first in case they had already fertilized it. will the tree be ok if I stop watering it?

Posted on March 7th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

3. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Sounds to me like the roots are rotting. Sorry, but sometimes when something is so young you can’t bring it back. Take your finger and scrape a little off the bark and if it is green below you could try repotting into new soil aerating the roots. Then leave it alone. If it is going to come back then it will. When a tree is so young and until the roots have really established you can’t help with fertilizer. The tree is able to make it’s own food by the process of photosynthesis. The elements in fertilizer improve the plants ability to photosynthesize during normal processes, but if it is struggling it just makes matters worse.
    It is like you eating a steak dinner when you have just gotten over the flu.

Debbie Hughes, Senior Horticulturist

Posted on March 13th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

4. Carol ferrelli Says:

Plenty of mango on one stem….to heavy what do I do?

Posted on April 11th, 2013 at 8:01 am

5. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

You can take a few of the mangoes off of the cluster if you want. Sometimes the tree will do it for you because the tree can’t support all of the fruit (not just the weight being a problem), but it takes much energy from the tree to produce all of that fruit.
    Some people in Asian countries will prop up a branch with a stake or a board to give support to the heavy laden branches.
    If the stem has too many fruits, pluck off a few and see if that helps. If you don’t, you may lose all of the fruit on the one stem. Better to be safe than sorry.

Debbie Hughes, Senior Horticulturist

Posted on April 17th, 2013 at 1:30 pm

6. Rhonda Meeks Says:

My mango tree is about 5-6 years old, gets morning sun and afternoon,little direct sun due to oak trees, not producing fruit, just a few buds. only now just fertilized it. Have gotten a few mangos about 2 years ago, do squirrels eat them, or sun problem? What do use suggest. I have seen some bees around the leaves?do not know if bee pollination is necessary. Thank You, Rhonda Meeks

Posted on May 13th, 2013 at 2:35 pm

7. Barry S Says:

Geogrpahy:
    Hawaii, ~800ft. elevation, average temp = 75 deg F.

Our new house has a very large mango tree in the middle of a slope in our backyard with all day sun. The diameter is roughly 4-5 feet and is about 40 feet at it’s tallest point, so it is a big old specimen.
    When we moved in it had 2 fruit hanging in the middle of fruiting season. Now, this flowering season, different parts of the tree flowered at different times and it looks like we won’t get much fruit again as all of the flowers are drying out and turning grey. When felt by hand they crumble and fall apart.
    We were not watering it due to regular rainfall but started watering a few times a week when the flowers started dying. They are still dying.

Any ideas? Any way to check or test for disease/fungus?

Mahalo

Posted on May 18th, 2013 at 4:36 pm

8. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Barry,

Your MANGO probably does have a fungus-this is indicative of flowers declining to the touch. Flowers do decline as a rule too because there are too many to pollinate. It would be like having a litter of 50 dogs from one dog. Mangoes need to get rid of some of the flowers. However, I do think you have a fungus problem, but it is difficult to spray such a big tree. Once the flowers start it is too late to spray also. Just enjoy the mangoes you got.
    If you did spray a copper fungicide would probably be best when the flowers are forming. Do in early morning when it is not too hot. Some people use a soap called Biowash also. It won’t kill the tree to have this fungus. It is a good idea to pick up many of the leaves off the ground and throw away. One of the types of fungus is called Anthracnose.

Debbie Hughes, Senior Horticulturist

Posted on June 4th, 2013 at 5:03 pm

9. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Rhonda,
    Mangoes are definitely dependent on the bees pollinating the flowers usually happening around Jan-March. There is a real need for sun on the leaves so they can produce their fuel through photosynthesis. You should have some fruit even in the shade, but the Oak trees nearby do compete with the roots of the Mango and guess what trees win out. I would suggest a citrus fertilizer applied in October and again March under the canopy of the Mango tree. Read the label for all directions.
    It is still young in age for a Mango that could live for a hundred years-maybe yours hasn’t started real fruit production. If it was a seedling Mango you can’t be sure of Mango flavor or the characteristic fruiting for quite a few years after planting. If it was a cultivar grafted to a rootstock, it should be a little more predictable depending on the varietal name. For instance, Valencia Pride Mango ripens later in the summer near August, and the Bailey’s Marvel starts in June. Hopefully your Mango is just slow to fruit and finding the way in your garden.

Debbie Hughes, Senior Horticulturist

Posted on June 5th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

10. Madeline Greenberg Says:

Last year we had loads of mangos. Then at the end of the season we trimed our tree
    . This year we didn’t get any mangos.

Posted on June 10th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

11. John Says:

Hi,
    I have a mango tree in Florida. I started growing the tree from the pit and seed from NYC, since 2005. I took the tree to Florida and planted it on ground soil in the backyard, since 2008. The tree has been growing very well and its very attractive with full life. However, the tree never produced flowers. I used manure fertilizer mixed with good soil. its a healthy looking tree but it never flowered nor produce fruits. Will this tree ever produce any mangoes? I don’t want to waste my time after 5 years in full out door sun, and 8 years in raising, and caring for it from the seed and into a 6 feet tall tree.

Posted on July 1st, 2013 at 7:08 pm

12. Gaurav Says:

Dear All,
    I have a very small baby mango tree in our big pot, tree seems live but there’s a one bigger root is completely green but on top leaves are looks like burned and dry, and one small root is coming out with some leaves.

Please help and suggest is my tree in good condition
    my gardener has put some fertilizers as well and he is saying tree is good and don need to worry but he coming every 3 months to the same……please suggest..

thanks….

Posted on July 13th, 2013 at 10:35 pm

13. Gloria Nicholson Says:

We have an old mango tree that has given a lot of mangos but the skin on the mango is not smooth. Are the mangos good (not very big yet)? We live in Tampa and have had a lot of rain. Somehting I should be doing?

Posted on July 17th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

14. Junior Spencer Says:

I threw a mango seed on the floor and weeks later I saw a mango plant its still small, how do i care for it. I live in NC

Posted on July 21st, 2013 at 8:42 am

15. Dominic Says:

What is the best growing/yielding mango tree in africa( East Africa)? Am establishing a five acre farm and was thing of growing mangoes commercially.
    Second what is the best hole depth for planting mango trees?

Posted on August 7th, 2013 at 5:49 am

16. Marcia Says:

Hell Debbie, I am loving your blog, and now I am growing y own(potted) mango tree inside my apt for a year. I just got to almost one foot high and healthy green leaves. Today I decided to transplant to a larger vase. When I touched the little tree some of the bottom leaves broken apart, however, they looked healthy with deep green color. I don’t over watering, and I let the soil dry first completely before I added some water. I leave it alone and let nature take care itself. I haven’t fertilized yet because I don’t like harsh chemicals, I wanted to let it grown a little bit (Since it’s potted inside a small vase inside of an apt). What should I do? I think still good. I have a large balcony and I live near to the beach SE exposure with lots of sunshine in the mornings. Can I place it outside now? And let the sun drench it directly? I am afraid of the strong winds so I haven’t placed outside yet, it stays inside next to the my sliding doors sort of greenhouse effect.

Please help! I am so excited about growing this mango tree so far and I want to continue nurturing this plant as my own living being!

Thanks for your help!

Marcia,

Posted on August 17th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

17. Marcia Says:

Op! Correction to my previous comment.
    Sorry I mean to write : HELLO DEBBIE, …

Posted on August 17th, 2013 at 4:10 pm

18. jnb Says:

We live in Panama. We bought a lot right on the ocean with a large, older mango tree. We got permission to build out around it with a sea wall as the roots were washing away. We wanted to save it. the patio is build around it. We noticed after a couple of years, it seemed to not be putting on new leaves. I started watering it since we had the patio, I thought perhaps it was not getting enough water. And it is now putting out some new leaves and has blossoms. What else do I need to do. I also dont want to over water it. We are in the tropics so it was used to a lot of water. It is right on the edge of the beach so a lot of sea water as well.

Posted on October 5th, 2013 at 10:56 pm

19. paul Says:

I HAVE MANGO TREE IN MY BACK YARD,IS NOT DUING VERRY WELL IT MAKE A LOTT OFF FLAWORS AND THAN ALL MOST DROPS THEM ALL.
    I READ FROM SOME OF YOU WRITERS I FEEL THAT I MY BE WATERING TO MUCH I NORMALY WATER THREE TIME A WEEK I WANDER IF THAT COOLD BE MY PROBLEM.
    I LEAVE IN AUSTRALIA. IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA OUR CLIMATE CAN BE RESENABLE HOT IN SUMMER ANY SUGESTEN WELCOME.
    PAUL.

Posted on December 12th, 2013 at 8:41 am

20. Vicki Dameron Says:

Hello,

My name is Vicki Dameron. Your web site is absolutely beautiful. I am a native of West Palm Beach and had never heard of the Edison/Ford Winter Estates until just recently. I will be visiting soon!
    Your image of the mango tree is wonderful… it brought me to your site. My reason for writing is I would like to use the image in a video I am producing. I would give credit to the photographer and Edison Ford Winter Estates.
    Thank you for your time, and again… I will be visiting the estates the next time I come down to Florida.
    -Vicki Dameron

Posted on January 3rd, 2014 at 3:29 pm

21. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Paul-Mangoes do not need to watered three times a week. Here is Florida we have wet summers and dry winters. That is what Mangoes prefer. To establish a mango tree one needs to water thoroughly in order to get roots promoted. Fruiting comes after flowering of course and that happens in our dry season. If we have a wet winter, it can promote the anthracnose fungal disease on the flowers and the leaves. The fungus causes flowers to drop prematurely meaning they don’t get pollinated and then no fruit. Mangoes don’t grow well in California dry summers and wet winters. Look for specific varieties in your area that would grow well with these conditions. In America it is the Julie variety. Try using a fungicide sprayed on the flowers to promote fruiting. Look up anthracnose-it causes blackening of the leaves and the flowers. Good Luck
    Debbie Hughes, Horticulturist

Posted on January 10th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

22. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hello jnb-Luck you to live in Panama. YOu are in Zone 10 and 11, with rich volcanic soil probably. The mango had been disturbed with the construction necessary to add your sea wall. The mango will adjust and probably be happier for it, but you must water during the spring when temperature are high in the 90’s and if there is a drought. Mangoes are used to dry winter and wet summers, but sometimes the summer rains take a while to happen here in Florida too. In May when the days are so hot, Mangoes can respire and lose quite a bit of water. I am not sure how salt tolerant Mangoes are, but if the Mango had been there for years and doing quite well it appears it adapted to the site. A little of a fruit tree fertilizer with a larger potassium number would suit the tree just fine in February and May before fruiting. Make sure you follow label directions of the fertilizer.

Debbie Hughes, Horticulturist

Posted on January 14th, 2014 at 7:32 am

23. Steve Rivet Says:

I have a Kent mango that I planted three years ago; the tree has flower spikes now in mid January, and we are not past our frost risk (I’m in southern Brevard county, about 2 miles inland from the Indian River). I have not fertilized since September. Should I cut the flower spikes off, or leave them? There are only a few, so it will be a pretty small crop it there aren’t more…. if I cut them off will they regrow when I do the spring fertilizing at the end of February?

Posted on January 14th, 2014 at 3:00 pm

24. subhadra Says:

Hi,
    We planted a mango tree about two months ago, the tree started flowering profusely while the plant is just about 3-3.5ft tall and has no branches and a sturdy trunk yet. Is it OK to have the flowers turn into fruits this year or do you suggest that we remove them so that the tree can grow well, become sturdy enough to bear fruits. I am concerned as I have heard supporting arguments for both the points.
    Regards,
    Subhadra, Bangalore, India

Posted on January 20th, 2014 at 1:54 am

25. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Steve-Don’t cut them off the tree-if you lose those from the cold, the tree will respond to produce more. Let nature do it’s thing without your intervention. You are growing them for your enjoyment not commercial production-it is best in the long run. Don’t fertilize Mango until March. WE don’t fertilize our Mangoes heavily anyway. If you do use a citrus formulated fertilizer. Kent Mangoes are a late variety ripening fruit into October-it will respond with more blooms throughout the winter months. Mangoes do like it dry and mild during the winter.
    Come visit us at the Edison Ford Winter Estates during the summer when our Mangoes are fruiting. WE have over 15 VARIETIES. We are open every day from 9-5:30. We also have a garden shoppe.

Debbie Hughes, Certified Horticulturist

Posted on January 22nd, 2014 at 7:56 am

26. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Subhadra-I would say remove the flowers early on so as to not tax the tree too much. It should be working on it’s roots right now.
    I know you hear all kinds of ideas, but think of the way children grow-they need to establish good roots too before producing. If the mango was a grafted variety it will produce fruit soon enough. Rooting in well is your main concern right now.

Debbie Hughes, Horticulturist

Edison Ford Winter Estates grow many varieties of Mangoes on our property because of Thomas Edison’s genius!

Posted on January 22nd, 2014 at 8:02 am

27. thomas Says:

we have a mango tree and her leaves are becoming dry and curling up ,what shall i do and can u give me tips on how to get rid of diseases

Posted on January 24th, 2014 at 1:44 pm

28. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Hi Thomas-If you have curling leaves with black tissue, it could be anthracnose. You can use copper fungicide during the winter months when mangoes are starting to flower. There are other fungicides on the market too, but always read the label.

Debbie Hughes, Horticulturist
    Come visit anytime at the Estates in Fort Myers-

Posted on January 30th, 2014 at 8:11 am

29. Edison Ford Winter Estates Says:

Vick-I am sure it would be fine-especially the good publicity for our site. WE are a non-profit historical landscape and museum of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.
    Just give us credit. Our Mangoes are either turpentine or cultivars for taste. WE have fruit from May-October.

Debbie Hughes, HOrticulturist

Posted on January 30th, 2014 at 8:26 am

30. Paulf Says:

Hello Debbie,

I planted 2 grafted mango stems(1 is a Fairchild mango the other a Kent I beleive) 3 years ago and they are now Starting to fruit. The Fairchild more than the Kent. I am in North Dade County. Is there anything I should or should not do during these months to assure good fruit?

I also planted 2 other trees 2 years ago which are significantly smaller than the 3 year old trees but they are also starting to fruit. These younger ones are a Fairchild and a rosigold. Should I remove these fruit?

I fertilized and put some citrus nutrients in October for all trees. Thank you.

Posted on March 15th, 2014 at 11:05 am

31. marcia Says:

i live in hernando County and thinking of planting a mango tree. we do get cold winters here and as a result i was thinking of getting a greenhouse. Would a green house be favourable to an East Indian Mango tree? I was also thinking to plant it near other trees to have the shade to protect it during the winter. Any suggestions?

Posted on March 25th, 2014 at 3:50 pm

32. Nayef Alhajri Says:

Hi there, we live in Qatar, and our summer is very hot and humid. tempriture can reach 130 degrees :( We have two mango trees that are about 4-5 feet tall. one of them flowered and produced fruits, a lot of fruit. but they started falling off. why is that !!? appreciate your help

Posted on March 28th, 2014 at 5:42 pm

33. Bhargavi Says:

Hi, we have a mango tree in out back yard. It is around 5-6 years old. And this year is the second time its having fruits. Some fruits are formed but since the past few weeks the fruits are not growing in size. Also the tree is not having any new leaves. I can see that my neighbour’s and friends’ mango trees are growing new leaves and have a good development of fruit size. I live in southern region in India. What could be the issue with our plant

Posted on March 29th, 2014 at 11:37 am

34. k shahzad saleem Says:

i have two mangoes trees in my home one is full of
    flowers but mangoes have not emerged. now flowers
    look like burning to black colours. the other hass
    little flowers but fruitless. please tell me remedy

Posted on April 12th, 2014 at 7:26 am

35. Jack Walsh Says:

Hello;
    I have a mango tree that is very different than all my neighbors(I live in south Florida). It produces a roundish yellow fruit (delicious) however it gets attacked more readily by insects and appears much less hardy. The tree only fruited on on side (half the tree). Can anyone shed light on why the other half didn’t fruit this year? Very strange.

Posted on April 21st, 2014 at 7:53 am

36. bob d Says:

how long does a tree have to grow before it bears fruit also some of my leaves appear to be eaten by bugs should i spray and with what not sure of trees age its about 5ft tall and doesnt look to healthy please help

Posted on May 14th, 2014 at 11:40 am

37. yantiwong Says:

I planted a mango tree about 14 years ago when I first move into my new house. For the first few years, the tree was not bearing any fruit so, as I was taught by a friend, we took a hammer to knock on the trunk to remove some of the glue-sh thing and the tree started bearing fruits. We have a lot of fruits but some of the fruits would “crack open” and drop of from the tree. I would like to know why the fruit would crack open and what can I do to stop that. The mango fruits are quite big (not sure what kind), sweet (if it does not rot first on the tree) and the seed is paper thin. Please advice as I love mangoes.

Posted on May 23rd, 2014 at 4:59 am

38. Alex Metcado Says:

I have a healthy mango tree w/ lots of fruit but the squirrels are getting to the fruit before they rippen. Any suggestions to keep them away?

Posted on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:25 pm

39. Eva Says:

Hi,we have a mango tree that look like the picture in this page, every year give us a large amount of mangoes, but this year many of them has a black spot inside, just at the part that hang from the tree and
    many of the leaves are cover w/some black spots. What should we do?.
    Thanks.

Posted on July 8th, 2014 at 12:33 am

40. ESMERALDA Says:

I have a mango tree I planted from a seed. It was like seven years ago. The tree is in good condition , but it has never had a flower.It is true that could be a macho tree and I won have mangos never

Posted on July 8th, 2014 at 6:37 pm

41. alphonso Says:

i have a young mango tree that started out growing great with plenty of sunlight but i have noticed lately that the leaves are startint to turn yellow. what should i be doing to help prevent this and what is it.

Posted on September 21st, 2014 at 6:58 pm

42. MJ Says:

Last year my Mango produced small fruits This year nothing. Just wondering why not. 8 feet tall looks healthy.

Posted on September 28th, 2014 at 1:03 pm